Pharmacy Technician Utah

Spread the love

If you are on your way to becoming a pharmacy technician in the state of Utah, you might want to keep these regulations and requirements in mind to see success.

Are Pharmacy Technicians Regulated In Utah?
Yes they are regulated.

Does Utah Require Certification To Practice As A Pharmacy Technician?
Yes they do require certification.

Which Of the Certification Exams Are Approved By Utah?
The PTCB (PTCE) or the ExCPT.

What Are the Registration Dates?
Before you start practicing as a pharmacy technician.

Is A License Required?
Yes it is required.

The Utah State Board of Pharmacy Information

Utah State Board of Pharmacy
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Phone: (801) 530-6628

Are There Any Professional Associations?
The Utah Pharmacists Association, which can be contacted at There is also the Utah Society of Health Systems Pharmacists, and they can be contacted at

What Are the Requirements To Become Licensed?

  • First you will have to send in a “Affidavit of Supervising Pharmacist Responsible for Practical Training Program” form if you received on the job training. You can also just submit the official transcripts. If it is the second one, you have to send them directly from the training site and if it is a school it must have the school’s seal on it.
  • Have your ExPCT or PTCB certification ready to go.
  • There is a small exam regarding Utah pharmacy law and regulations that you will have to complete.
  • You can bring your application in person to the Division of Occupational Licensing, and they can be found at 160 E. 300 S., Main Lobby, Salt Lake City, and you can complete your finger printing there as well. You can also mail in your finger printing card instead.
  • Then submit your written application for registration as a pharmacy technician to the Utah State Board of Pharmacy that can be found at
  • Don’t forget the application fee of $100 that is nonrefundable.

Will There Be Training Required?
Yes and it will either be on the job training or formal education training. If you are doing on the job training, you have to fill out and send in an approval form before you start that training. If it is a formal training program, it has to be one that was approved by the state of Utah. There is an exception though, and that is if you have worked over 1,000 hours as a licensed pharmacy technician in another state.

What About Continuing Education Requirements?
Yes there is, twenty hours for every renewal period. Out of the twenty hours, one hour must be ethics and laws, and eight hours must be live. Those that are nationally certified will already complete the requirements.

When Is Renewal Required?
Biennially, or every odd numbered year. They expire on the 30th of September. It is not based on the date of registration, it is done all at the same time and then is good for 2 full years after that.

What If I Move or I change Jobs?
You can notify the board with a change of address form.

Spread the love